Court was closed today, was supposed to go stand in on a felony arraignment for Jim Squires to get a reset for one of his clients. I would have liked to do that, but alas. Anyway, I am snowed in today, so I guess it's a good thing court isn't open. Well, it's more that my driveway is uphill and my car can't climb it. I tried to turn around and take a different route, which eventually ended up with my car being further down the hill in the back yard. D'oh! I'm not sure why people choose to live in conditions such as these up North, but I digress.
It's been a busy week. I disposed of two cases this past Wednesday. One was reset to March at the request of the County Attorney. It will likely be dismissed, if it doesn't, I'll be taking that one to trial. The prosecution's only witness has flipped his story three times thus far, however, my investigator obtained audio and a signed affidavit saying it was not my client that criminally trespassed into his apartment. So...yay.
I wrapped up that appellate issue, meaning I turned my letter into Judge Sinz. My client should win on that then we can move to trial or get a settlement.
In other news, I picked up a felony client, charged with a class three felony and two probation revocation hearings. This client actually retained me, for a fairly low fee I have to admit, but I'm unconcerned about that. I think despite other attorney's charging higher fees it is ethical for me to charge according to my experience at this point, which is limited. I'll start raising my fee incrementally as I gain more court room experience.
I am hoping to move to Lufkin soon, in the next couple of weeks, another attorney is helping me find some housing. Then I can move into my office. I'll look forward to working along side Jim Squires and Eddie McFarland. If nothing else, I think it'll be fun.
That is about it, things are going well despite the Snowpocalypse.
10:02 AM |
Category: |
0
comments

Comments (0)